Forcing mount point for a volume

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Sep 16 00:31:25 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 17:14 -0700, Igor Pruchanskiy wrote:
> Is there any way to force a mount point for a specific volume ?
> I am trying to get my iPod to be mounted to /mnt/ipod instead of
> /media/usbdisk
>
> This is my ipod.fdi file
> -- snip --
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
>
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>  <device>
>    <match key="volume.uuid" string="0ADF-5860">
>     <merge key="volume.mount_point" type="string">/mnt/ipod</merge>
>    </match>
>  </device>
> </deviceinfo>
> -- snip --
>
> Am i doing something wrong here ?

Yeah, volume.mount_point is a property maintained by hal to specify
where the volume is mounted if, and only if, volume.is_mounted is TRUE.
Btw, device information files are only to be used to specify *facts*
about devices; not policy like where to mount it.

Pretty soon, I'm going to work on a configuration file for fstab-sync
such that you add rules on how to generate mount points for various
devices; it'll probably look like the rules from udev, e.g. something
like this

 block.device="/dev/hda7", ignore
 storage.serial="CLP225F2G3UR4A", ignore
 block.device="/dev/hda2", mount_point="/mnt/my_own_mount_point"
 volume.label="CANON_DC", mount_point="/mnt/my_camera", options="noauto,user,exec,noatime,sync"

though I'm not sure about the format yet. Perhaps XML would be better, dunno.

> Also after a recent update h-d-m can not read my Volume ID anymore. All
> I assume this is something UTF-8 related ?

Depends on what version you upgraded from, what is the label supposed to
be, what platform are you running on etc etc? Btw, I'm also going to fix
the UTF-8 stuff soon.

David