libhal-storage

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Fri Sep 24 06:29:24 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 14:31 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:

> > Ok, to the point of the label setting, we once decided not to do this
> > with HAL, but it's still a nice feature. If we agree that we want that
> > as a part of HAL, I'm willing to do that.
> >

> Oh, but I think we discussed not doing this from hal daemon which I
> think makes sense - the hal daemon is only for discovery of devices. The
> idea now is to do this as part libhal-storage. I definitely think there
> is a need for this; I personally want to be able to rename my volumes
> from e.g. Nautilus.

Yes, that's nice and one can expect it working that way.

> There's two issues in play; the API needs to be thought out; we want to
> have at least
>
>  hal_volume_set_label()
>  hal_volume_can_set_label()
>  hal_volume_is_valid_label()
>  hal_volume_label_get_max_length()
>  hal_volume_get_supported_charset()
>
> or something; just thinking out loud. There's also the inherent problem
> that this requires access to the disk to actually write the label; I'm
> not sure yet how to solve that.

Hmm, we need to do this from the hal-daemon, or wrapping it in a setuid-
binary, that parses /etc/fstab (like mount) to check for user
permissions?

> > I'm thinking about wrapping existing commandline-tools in a simple
> > function. This should work with most of the currently available tools.
> > Only for FAT, I don't know if there is one, that really works.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> This could be one way to do it.

Another way would be to get a new utility in every fs-util package, with
a well defined interface for managing labels and uuid's. But that may be
hard to sell.
BTW: That's what OS X is doing in /System/Library/Filesystems/*. They
just look for the fstype-string and call the matching utility from the
disk management daemon. This way, they can support label renaming and
uuid's of a new filesystem type, just by mounting it and provide one
binary, which is nice.

Kay