can't get hald to mount my usb storage device

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Apr 11 16:57:38 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 22:54 +0000, Edwin Schepers wrote:
> On Saturday 09 April 2005 22:29, Edwin Schepers wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I compiled/installed dbus-0.32 and hal-0.5.0 and am trying to get my usb
> > camera mounted automatically. I can't get it to work.
> > Does someone know what's going wrong ?
> I have been searching but can't find a solution. Maybe there's a problem
> because DEVNAME is set to nothing ?
> When I use the 0.4.7 version that's part of FC3, there's no problem at all.

HAL 0.5 depends on udev to manage the hotplug events. You need to
set /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug to /sbin/udevsend. That way every
hotplug-forked helper will have the name of the device-node in the
environment.
HAL uses only one hotplug-helper now and no dev.d/ helper like the 0.4
version did. This saved us from reordering hotplug-events, serialize
them, wait for syfsfs to show up and match hotplug with dev.d/ events.

Kay