HAL battery backend, new thread!

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:42:04 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 13:20 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 16:33 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > I've attached the latest patch with the C99 fixes you asked for.
> Looks good - I've committed this and the doc patch. Thanks a lot!

Thanks David.

I've attached a discharge graph that I've just generated. The X axis is
time in minutes, and the Y the charge_remaining in hours. This discharge
was done at 100% system load and lcd brightness. Pink is ideal.
The battery is pretty much brand new.

You'll see the calculation for discharge is both accurate and constant.

I'm not sure what happens when the battery is < 1%, but I guess it's my
ACPI BIOS playing clever tricks.

I'm doing one for charging now, but obviously it'll take a lot longer.
I'll also do one for my old f*cked battery (tells me I have 70%
remaining, and then 2 minutes later 5% remaining - old battery syndrome)
to show how the batteries degrade.
We could handle the latter case by comparing last_full with design, and
determine the age of the battery (in terms of use, not how many years
old it is)

Is this something that belongs in HAL? Not much processing overhead but
a bit more complexity in remaining_time.

Anyone care to run the script (also attached) for me (full to laptop
hard shutdown) and get some results for a middle-of-the-road ACPI
battery?

Thanks,

Richard.