Modifying mount points of USB Mass Storage devices

vitko vitk0 at seznam.cz
Fri Dec 9 04:59:28 PST 2005

Bill Paxton wrote:

> I hate asking these kinds of questions, I've read the archives and
> googled for a couple days but I can't figure it out on my own. Sorry.
>
> So here we have a USB Mass Storage camera. I can tickle udev to make a
> snazzy device name for it, that works well but it's just cosmetic. The
> big deal comes from the fdi entry and the mount point. I don't care if
> it's /dev/sd? but I do care where it gets mounted.

> And it does make those entries in the corresponding udi when you check
> it with lshal. But that's not where the actual mount is; it's a parent
> device.

Bill, I have similar problems, I'm trying to enforce custom mountpoint
/media/apacerht203 for my Apacer flash drive. My FDI is

$ cat /usr/share/hal/fdi/50user/apacer_ht203.fdi
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
   <device>
     <match key="info.bus" string="usb">
       <match key="usb.vendor_id" int="0x1005">
         <match key="usb.product_id" int="0xb113">
           <merge key="usb.product" type="string">FooBarJustToTestMatchWorks</merge>
           <merge key="volume.policy.desired_mount_point"
type="string">/media/apacerht203</merge>
       </match>
     </match>
   </device>
</deviceinfo>

but so far I failed to set it for correct object, as I don't know how
to propagete it to volume object.

(Anyone willing to kick me in the right direction?)

Vit