I18N volume labels

leon breedt bitserf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 04:03:49 PST 2005

Hi again,

It seems Joliet stores the volume label in something called a
Supplementary Volume Descriptor (located some where after the Primary
Volume Descriptor).

This has largely the same format as a PVD, and the volume_id field of
this descriptor contains the UTF-16 (Big Endian) encoded volume ID.

I've created a patch that uses this instead if present, and it works
for me. As in, the names in lshal and hal-device-manager are correctly
displayed. However, Nautilus still seems to have some problems with
the Korean name (see attached image snippet).

The patch also possibly has some problems:

- I ignore the SVD "Escape Sequences" field, no idea what it means
- I ignore the SVD "Volume Flags" field
- I'm not entirely sure that a descriptor identified as an SVD is used
only by Joliet, although that is what disktype
(http://disktype.sf.net) assumes

Technical information on Joliet is rather scarce, though libcdio and
disktype were useful for gleaning facts used in the patch, as well as
this page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/jolspec.html

Leon