kobject-uevent

Ikke eikke at eikke.com
Mon Jan 10 08:11:27 PST 2005

Hija,

since Linux kernel 2.6.10, there's a new concept in the vanilla code
(similar to the patches by RML, Kay Sievers,...) called
kobject-uevent('s), which allow the kernel to send events to userspace
through a netlink socket.

After a little discussion on the dbus at fdo list (started by some stupid
proposal by me), Kay suggested to take this into HAL, so (as an example)
polling /etc/mtab shouldn't be necessary anymore to find out mount
events, the kernel messages could be used.

I'd like to hack this into HAL, and made a CVS checkout. Now there's a
minor problem: I have no idea where to do this. The netlink socket has
to be monitored all time ("while (0)"), but I cannot find any place in
the HAL sources where this is appropriate (for now). I must confess I
did not read all of it already, but well...

I think it must be somewhere inside hal/hald/linux (I thought it was
hal/agents/linux26/sysfs/hal_monitor.c first tough, but that one seems
to be obsolete?), but could someone provide me some pointers on where to
do this?

Thanks a lot,
Ikke