RFC: ACPI namespace

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Tue Jan 11 00:53:41 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:32:44AM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > Being dense is good :).. On my laptop there are light sensors on both
> > > sides of the keyboard. A little deamon uses the information for these to
> > > automagically adapt the lcd brightness and the keyboard light to the
> > > ambient light :)  (Thus when the lightlevel goes down the lcd brightness
> > > is turned down and when dark enough the keyboard light is turned on)
> >

> My IBM Thinkpad T41 with a 2.6.10 kernel allows me to do this
>
>  [root at daxter ibm]# echo on > /proc/acpi/ibm/light
>  [root at daxter ibm]# echo off > /proc/acpi/ibm/light
>
> but I don't have any sensors :-/. We'll need a way to export
> this functionality I guess..

Note that on my powerbook it's not just on/off, but it actually has a range of
15 steps iirc.. Just something to keep in mind when exporting it..

> > Namespace:	system.sensors
> > Description:	Device objects with the capability system.sensors represent all light and temperature sensors in the system. The following properties are available:
> >
> > Key:		system.sensor.type (string)
> > Mandatory:	Yes
> > Values:
> >  light: 	Light sensor
> >  temperature: 	Temperature sensor
> >
> > Key:		system.sensor.location (string)
> > Mandatory:	Yes
> > Values:
> >  gpu: 		Measures GPU source
> >  cpu: 		Measures CPU source
> >  external: 	Measures external source
> >  other: 	Measuring other source
> >
> > Key:		system.sensor.device (????)
> > Mandatory:	No
> >

> Not sure this is useful to export; power management already happens
> within the kernel for good reason: it's not sane to wait for userspace

Not sure if you mean the location or the sensors but both are usefull. Some
people like monitoring applications, which should be very easy to build on top
of hal if we provide this kind of information.

Also for my light sensors it is actually a usespace applications that handles
them. So also i would like to build on top of hal as soon as it provided the
information needed :)

  Sjoerd
--
Take an astronaut to launch.