Patch to hal-spec : 1/6-pmu-acpi

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Thu Jan 13 10:17:49 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 07:07:07PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:

> OK, so here I assume that all device objects with system.*
> properties will also have either acpi.* or pmu.* properties,
> right?
>
> On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 18:32 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> >     <sect2 id="device-properties-pmu">
> >       <para>
> >
> > 	Device objects with the capability pmu represent devices
> >         currently accessed through the PMU bus /dev/pmu.
>
> How about:
>
> Device objects with the capability pmu represent functionality provided
> by the Power Management Unit found in various PPC based systems.
>

> >       </para>
> >       <informaltable>
> >         <tgroup cols="2">
> >           <thead>
> >             <row>
> >               <entry>Key (type)</entry>
> >               <entry>Values</entry>
> >               <entry>Mandatory</entry>
> >               <entry>Description</entry>
> >             </row>
> >           </thead>
> >           <tbody>
> >             <row>
> >               <entry></entry>
> >               <entry>No</entry>
> >               <entry>The in-kernel driver version providing PMU services</entry>
> >             </row>
> >           </tbody>
> >         </tgroup>
> >       </informaltable>
> >     </sect2>
>
> Should also have pmu.device that gives the device file, e.g. /dev/pmu
> (remember, udev may call it something else!).

Does this mean that every device with capability pmu copies this information?
Wouldn't it be better to have one pmu object with version and device node info
and let the others refer to it ?

Come to think of it, isn't putting capability pmu in info.capabilities is a
little weird? The object hasn't got the capability ``pmu'', that's just it's
data source..

Sorry if i'm a little dense about these things, but imho it's important to get
it right the first time :)

  Sjoerd
--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her.
		-- Sir Francis Bacon