Patch to hal-spec : 1/6-pmu-acpi

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Thu Jan 13 11:50:39 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 07:11:27PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:17:49 +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 07:07:07PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> >>
> >> OK, so here I assume that all device objects with system.*
> >> properties will also have either acpi.* or pmu.* properties,
> >> right?
> >>
> >> Should also have pmu.device that gives the device file, e.g. /dev/pmu
> >> (remember, udev may call it something else!).
> >
> > Does this mean that every device with capability pmu copies this
> > information?  Wouldn't it be better to have one pmu object with version and
> > device node info and let the others refer to it ?
>
> What about just adding to the linux namespace (and set by the root node):
>
> key: linux.pmu_device (optional)
> desc: The PMU character device that HAL can access. PMU is the Power
> Management Unit found in various PPC based systems.
>
> Then acpi_button.c can use the system.button namespace, and then only with
> ACPI, it uses the acpi. properties. (namely acpi.proc_path which is bound
> to each node)
> Does PMU have any node-specific data? I don't know anything about PMU,
> other than PMUD is used to query it.

Not really it's pretty simple.. Most stuff it knows is exported through /proc,
for some things you need to query/write to it though..

It does have a driver and a firmware version though, which can be usefull to
store..

Oh and note that we get the lid information from /dev/adb.. ADB is the bus
where internal keyboard and mouse are on.

  Sjoerd
--
Man's reach must exceed his grasp, for why else the heavens?