Ideas for spec for PMU/ACPI, Was: Patch to hal-spec : 1/6-pmu-acpi

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Mon Jan 17 12:10:53 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:18:36PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 20:03 +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > Just wondering.. Do we want the code that reads/polls /sys and/or /proc
> > entries as addons (well for entries that don't need special permissions) ?
> >

> Probably not; you're right..
>
> > I don't think it's a problem to have one extra addon, but having a general
> > guideline to what should become an addon and what should stay in the main
> > code (or at least in a more general addon) would be nice :)
> >

> I'd like that too :-). Guideline should probably be
>
>  1. Reading sysfs, procfs is OK from inside hald
>  2. Opening device files is not OK from inside hald
>  3. Specialized device polling (like ink-level or battery-level from
>     wireless mice) should be done as an addon
>
> What about that?

Sounds cool. Another possibility is to ban all polling from hald itself and
have one bigger ``generic'' addon which does polling when it keeps within the
your given guidelines. It should fit nicely in the general addon
infrastructure and has the same benifits of a normal addon, while not having an
addon explosion :)..

For now it could be used for polling battery status and maybe stuff like
network card statistics ? (btw. just noted that 2.6.10 has a sysfs entry called
carrier in the network device, which can be used instead of doing MII stuff
ourselves as far as i could see)

  Sjoerd
--
Live never to be ashamed if anything you do or say is
published around the world -- even if what is published is not true.