seemingly random hald system freeze

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jan 17 12:25:01 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 13:45 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Another avenue to explore would be to use a feature from the 2.6.10
> kernel - optionally of course, as a compile time option; I wonder if
> that works for your system. Does the file (replace eth0 with the
> name for your device using the b44 driver)
>
>  /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier
>
> change when you plug/unplug the cable?

I just committed something like that to HEAD. If you build with
--enable-sysfs-carrier, then mii will never be used; it does require
a 2.6.10 kernel and until the kernel got a corresponding sysfs file
for the link speed HAL will assume it's 100Mbps. By default
--enable-sysfs-carrier is set to no.

You may fetch packages for Fedora Development (should work on FC3
also if you got the latest kernel from FC3 updates) from here

 http://people.redhat.com/davidz/hal-cvs20050117/

Please see if this works on your system.

Cheers,
David