improving digital camera detection

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Mon Jan 17 14:01:07 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 01:40 -0500, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> Some patch for libgphoto2 to handle USB Mass Storage cameras as well by
> just using the "Directory" driver we already have. Just because users
> are too stupid to understand that if the camera is a USB Mass Storage
> they don't need libgphoto2 [1]. Nothing related to HAL but the fact that
> I'd use libhal to retrieve the mount point.
>
> [1] I talk from real world experience

I don't think "stupid" is the right terminology here.  People are just
interested in getting their photos from their camera onto their
computer, and they don't care if it's USB, Firewire, or wireless, and
they definitely don't care what the protocol over the wire is.  Whether
it's a USB Mass Storage device or not is an irrelevant technical detail
for a desktop user.

That said, support in libgphoto2 would be nice so that various photo
management programs don't have to roll their own.

Joe