Bluetooth discussion kickoff

Paul Ionescu i_p_a_u_l at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 14:38:49 PST 2005

Hi all,

For beginning, I thing we can add support for bluetooth BNEP interfaces,
which behaves like a real network interface (bnep0, bnep1 etc). This way
they can be tracked and used in NetworkManager, and if there is no
wired/wireless net available, we can use bluetooth networking
automatically if available. Then how about adding the other logical
network interfaces like ppp, irda a.s.o ?

I think here we have multiple stage creation:
First we add a bluetooth device in HAL. At a later time, when we have a
PAN connection and a bnep0 interface we have to add bnep0 as a networking
device in HAL. And then if the PAN connection is finished, bnep0 is gone,
and we have to remove it from HAL.

The same goes for serial/a.s.o interfaces and ppp protocol.
AFAIK there is a hotplug event when those interfaces gets created.

We need all usable network devices in HAL for NetworkManager to see
and manage them. (and not only for this)

Best regards,
Paul