HAL and legacy serial ports, modems, ppp interfaces

Paul Ionescu i_p_a_u_l at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 07:50:30 PST 2005

Hi David,

I think legacy ports are starting to appear in sysfs with aid of ACPI-PNP.
At least I have them with kernel 2.6.11-rc1 from FC3 experimental in
/sys/devices/pnp0.
They are added there by ACPI-PNP code in recent kernels.
I have a lot of devices there (around 20 devices), see:

tree /sys/devices/pnp0/
/sys/devices/pnp0/
|-- 00:01
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:02
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:03
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:04
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:05
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:06
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:07
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:08
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:09
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:0a
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:0b
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:0c
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:0d
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:0e
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:11
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:12
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:13
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:14
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:16
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- 00:19
|   |-- detach_state
|   |-- id
|   |-- options
|   |-- power
|   |   `-- state
|   `-- resources
|-- detach_state
`-- power
    `-- state

And to actually see what devices I have there:

 for i in * ; do cat $i/id ;done
PNP0c02
PNP0c01
PNP0200