ACPI and PMU nearly finished, but I want pretty HAL Icons...

Richard Hughes ee21rh at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 08:42:33 PST 2005

David Zeuthen <david <at> fubar.dk> writes:
> Looks good.

Looks better now I've added a truck load of comments.
I've also cleaned up the functions, and glib-ified the main checking
function.

I found glib to be very powerfull, with it's inbuilt checks for
double-free and a rich set of string functions. Now I've used it for a
few hours, I think it would be mad to not use it.

> Nah, just send the patch when you're ready and we can go over it here
> on the list. I just committed a lot of code yesterday to HEAD so
> you should base it off HEAD.

You sure?

It's going to be easier for somebody to compile one .c file, and post the
stdout on this list, than to go throught the process of installing HAL CVS
(cvs update, make, make install, hald --daemon=no and lshal > file.txt)
the output.

For the PMU stuff, someone like Sjoerd could use this temp executable to
check /proc/pmu reading, and Paul could write the ibm_extra function.

It just seems unweildy to use HAL proper whilst there's so much to do with
the data extraction routines...

[Talking of which, I'm currently hardcoding these, checking for the value
of ac_adaptor:present=="yes" in the C code. Should this data be in a seporate
file - I can't ever see the need to change it, and it adds a huge overhead to
the code.]

When the ACPI and PMU is going into HAL for real, I can just search-replace
all the local HAL-SET-BOOL functions with the proper HAL ones.

I'm just thinking aloud, feel free to tell me I'm talking rubbish. I keep
changing my mind on this, but overall I think the interim step would be a
benefit, not a hinderance to ACPI/PMU in HAL.

> > How do I link a png icon to it's device type? I'm going to need lots of
> > new icons....
> >

> See hal-device-manager - don't get too attached to this program, it
> may become irrelevant once we get a real DeviceManager desktop
> program.

Ohh do I smell new code? :-)

On a side note, when I view my ac_adaptor in hal-device-manager I see
"AC Adaptor" as a root node, not as a child of "Computer"
Is this something that h-d-m automatically does?

Richard