how to tell hald to reread .fdi files without restarting hald ?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jan 20 18:18:42 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 03:25 +0200, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the right way to tell hald that we installed new .fdi files and it
> should reread them ?
>
> A "service haldaemon restart" does the trick, but I don't want to restart
> thehald because of the dbus traffic of disappearing and appearing devices.

Pulling out and inserting the device works, though that is a bit
inconvenient :-).

I'm not sure we explicitly should have a ReloadDeviceInformationFile()
method because you're normally interested in using the merged
properties when the device is added.

Perhaps it would make sense to have a Reprobe() method on the
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device object that simulates removing and
adding the entire subtree?

David