CD/DVD writer capabilities not correctly imported in HAL

Alexey Morozov alex-hp at idisys.iae.nsk.su
Mon Jan 24 03:03:51 PST 2005

Pozsar Balazs writes:

>>I don't mind using MMC commands to retrieve drive capabilities if they
>>provide accurate information.
>>

>I do not really understand how can /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info be more
>correct than the using mmc commands... How is that information
>retrieved?

Actually as an udev package maintainer for my distro I have been
reported several cases when /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info gives totally wrong
information about drives capabilities. E.g. a pure CD-ROM drive is
reported as being capable to write RAM and MRW discs but not CD-Rs (the
reporter also has a CD-RW on the same computer).

So probably MMC-commands can help. But I personally think that stuff
like udev and hal should rely on kernel correctness rather than
re-inventing checking code again and again, and bugs like that must be
solved on kernel level.

Alexey