ACPI/PMU procfs HAL test program. Version 002.

Richard Hughes ee21rh at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Jan 24 06:42:15 PST 2005

Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka <at> web.de> writes:
> > Polling is generally bad, but I don't think we have any other choices,
> > we? acpid(?)
>
> There are two ways to get actually informations about battery states:
> 1.) wait for ACPI Battery Event
> Problem:
> 	- not supported by all machines, and no info if or if not
> 	- you can't say when a event is sent by the BIOS (maybe every
> 	  percent +/-, maybe other interval --> unknown)

ACPI events are not great from the quick look that I've given them, although
they are good as they remove the polling for some events. Maybe a place for
them somewhere for some objects.

> 2.) poll /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
> Problem:
> 	- systemload if you poll too often.

It it measurable? Is it a problem from a power consumption or
proccessor load PoV?

I agree polling a battery every second for it's design capacity rating is a
bad idea (only needs to be done at coldplug) but wouldn't the procfs entries
be cached into RAM and thus lightning quick?

> I think we must implement both an make configurable what the user want to
>  use.
> IMHO for polling batterystate  60 sec interval is o.k.

Yes, configuration options are a good idea.

What about for each device:

system.refresh.enabled = BOOL
if TRUE
 system.refresh.interval = INT (seconds)

> Exactly what I had meant. I would only get a information if something on
> battery (or ac-adapter, ....) is changed in powersave and kpowersave.
> A DBus
> event is okay for me.

Good :-)

> Which information about acpi/apm/proc should hal still provide (if available)
> (in a own namespace, maybe ACPI, not proc) ?
>
> 	acpi.fan.*
> 	acpi.sleep [s0 - x]
> 	acpi.thermal_zone.*
> 	acpi.wakeup
> 	processor.id [integer]
>         battery.discharge.remainig.percent

We've sortof already covered some of this:

http://cvs.freedesktop.org/*checkout*/hal/hal/doc/spec/hal- spec.html

Also if you run my program (procfs-hal) on any ACPI/PMU based machine, you'll
see the sort of thing we are working towards merging into HAL.

Richard.