Please merge procfs... :-)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat Jan 29 11:01:09 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 19:55 +0200, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> > I don't want a dependency on acpid, we should just read things off the
> > /proc/acpi/event socket.
>
> Usually acpid opens that socket, and nobody else can use it anymore.

Oh, great, it's exclusive. I didn't know that, sorry.

> Some systems are still using acpid because we don't have and viable
> alternative yet.
> And acpid is started before hald.
> So, in this situation, I think we can first try to open /proc/acpi/event
> and if that is not possible, we can open /var/run/acpid.socket where acpid
> will send all acpi events, so it is a replication of /proc/acpi/event.
> This way, is not an acpid dependency.

So, it sounds like we want to do try reading /proc/acpi/event first and
then fall back to /var/run/acpid.socket if that's not possible. This
should probably happen outside hald (as an addon) as opening the former
requires root privileges. Is the format the same?

Cheers,
David