fstab-sync Issue - I Think

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Sun Jan 30 13:02:41 PST 2005

On Sunday 30 January 2005 20:55, David Zeuthen wrote:
> One question: was this entry
>
>  /dev/sda4               /media/ZIP750           vfat
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,noatime,sync,fscontext=system_u:objec
>t_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
>
> automatically added to your /etc/fstab file or did you add it yourself?

I think in this entry/line is something wrong. If you use vfat, it should not
be 'iocharset=utf8'. It should better be 'utf8=true'

If this option came from HAL (fstab-sync) it should be fixed.

look at: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/vfat.txt [2.6.8 - 2.6.11rc2]
iocharset=name -- Character set to use for converting between the
                 encoding is used for user visible filename and 16 bit
                 Unicode characters. Long filenames are stored on disk
                 in Unicode format, but Unix for the most part doesn't
                 know how to deal with Unicode.
                 By default, FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET setting is used.

                 There is also an option of doing UTF8 translations
                 with the utf8 option.

                 NOTE: "iocharset=utf8" is not recommended. If unsure,
                 you should consider the following option instead.

utf8=<bool>   -- UTF8 is the filesystem safe version of Unicode that
                 is used by the console.  It can be be enabled for the
                 filesystem with this option. If 'uni_xlate' gets set,
                 UTF8 gets disabled.