storage icon name

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jul 7 07:52:35 PDT 2005

Hi,

Sorry for the lag,

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 20:32 +0100, Karl Relton wrote:
> Hi
>
> I read elsewhere (gnome-vfs) that the libhal-storage icon name policy
> stuff in Hal was to be deprecated.

That's right. It's more sensible to move that into the actual desktop
where it belongs. I'll write some more about this when putting out hal
0.5.3.

> Does this mean I will lose the ability to specify exactly the icon I
> want for each of my devices - or will the mechanism to do this simply
> change.
>
> Right now I have a couple of cameras. I have configured hal via my own
> fdi files to specify my own icons (each one being an icon representing
> the particular camera), so that gnome/nautilus displays my specific
> camera-icon for each camera (to help me know which one is which).
>
> I'm worried that if this goes away, I will be left with two of the same
> icon on my desktop - not so easy to distinguish between the two.
>
> I tried googling on the hal mailing list, but couldn't find anything
> describing the pending change in hal - just the patch submitted for
> gnome-vfs.

gnome-vfs should still support the storage.icon.drive and
storage.icon.volume properties and use those icons. The fact that
gnome-vfs HEAD doesn't is just an oversight from me in the latest patch
I submitted. I'll fix this soon.

Thanks,
David