LUKS code and new method interface

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Wed Jul 13 19:58:01 PDT 2005

I just got the LUKS cryptographic disk backend working with the new
method interface.  The method interface was the last thing I was waiting
for and it seems to work well.  David Z., I really like that the parameters
are read from stdin instead of the environment.  Thanks.

Anyway, in order to get this stuff to work, do the following:

1.  Install the latest version of my luks-tools package[1].  Version 0.0.5
includes a hal-luks-setup wrapper script.

2.  Install a device information file that describes the interface used:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">

  <device>
    <match key="info.udi" string="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer">
      <append key="info.interfaces" type="strlist">org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Luks</append>
      <append key="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Luks.method_names" type="strlist">Setup</append>
      <append key="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Luks.method_signatures" type="strlist">ss</append>
      <append key="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Luks.method_execpaths" type="strlist">/usr/sbin/hal-luks-setup</append>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

I still need to add HAL interface support to my gnome-volume-manager
patch.  Until then, you can simulate the interaction with the following
command:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Luks.Setup string:/dev/DEVICE string:PASSWORD

More information, including the status of this project, is available at [2].

[1] http://flyn.org/projects/luks-tools/index.html
[2] http://flyn.org/easycrypto/easycrypto.html

--
Mike