ubuntu hardware database patches

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jul 27 18:28:04 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 13:59 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm the guy who wrote the hardware datatabase in ubuntu. since we use
> hal as a backend i made some patches against 0.4.7, some of them to odd
> to present here, but some of them worth to go upstream.

Interesting; I did take a look at your patches earlier.

> i'm currently porting all the stuff to hal 0.5.2 (the version we'll use
> in the next ubuntu release) and would like to see the ones looking sane
> enough included here.i'm assuming they will also apply in newer
> versions...
>
> so please find attached the first one, that adds lsb_release data to the
> computer device in hal (if /bin/lsb_release is available)... feel free
> to throw it away if you dont like it.

I think it would be quite nice to populate the system.* properties on
the computer device with suitable information. Maybe we can put more
information that just lsb.*; perhaps it should be all this

 [davidz at daxter tools]$ /usr/bin/lsb_release -a
 LSB Version:    1.3
 Distributor ID: FedoraCore
 Release:        4
 Codename:       Rawhide

worked into a system.os.* namespace? It would also be useful with a
patch against the spec with what each field means and when it's
available etc. Should also work for other things than Linux. I'm not
sure how useful the information really is though; e.g. it's quite easy
to call lsb_release from any app...

Cheers,
David