Feature requests for hal battery backend.

Sergey Udaltsov sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 12:14:43 PDT 2005

> > Ideally, I'd like HAL to report remaining charge in only one unit ever.
> > Either Joules or mWh are an appropriate choice.
>
> mWh seems standard.
No! Wireless mice don't provide the information regarding the units
they use. They just give numbers (1-7 IIRC). So there cannot be
promises regarding Joules or anything else. Or is your idea about ACPI
only?

> battery.remaining_time
> (and as of yesterday)
Optional, I hope?
> battery.charge_level.percentage.

> This will aim to abstract the data so that no processing is needed.
Why duplicate the data? Also, is this percentage from the claimed,
'official' capacity - or the real one (last maximum, for example)?

> See above.
>
> > 4) Therefore the total time remaining of the system is that of the sum
> >    of the individual time remainings of each battery.
But this may be simply incorrect semantically. If some device uses
both batteries together - they will die together. Why would you want
to cheat users by making the impression of 'one-after-another'
behavior? Or, user could be frustrated to see that while his watches
changed from 12:00 to 12:10, the batteries changed their prognosis
5min each, not 10min

Cheers,

Sergey