USB mass storage device at /dev/sda1 isn't mountable: "no medium found"

Adam Monsen haircut at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 10:51:03 PDT 2005

On 6/2/05, David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com> wrote:
[...]
> This is odd, I've never seen something like this before. Does /dev/sda1
> appear in lshal and if so, what is the volume.fstype property for that
> object? In particular, does hal add an /etc/fstab entry for /dev/sda1?

Yes, there is some seemingly relevant info given from 'lshal'. There
is no volume.fstype property set, however.

There seem to be *two* entries that are of interest (have
usb.vendor_id and usb.product_id  values that match my particular
camera). I pasted the two sections here:
http://www.rafb.net/paste/results/yjnTtn10.nln.html

> Also, it might be useful to reformat the media either from the camera or
> from a PC; some cameras have rather dodgy FAT implementations.
[...]

I was unable to format the card via Linux (Fedora Core pre-4 using the
latest development/rawhide RPMs).

# mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1
mkfs.vfat 2.10 (22 Sep 2003)
/dev/sda1: No medium found

I tried formatting from a Windows XP Pro command line using 'format E:
/FS:FAT /Q' (not FAT32). Disclaimer: I really have no idea what I'm
doing on Windows. However, the camera seemed to work with the SD Flash
card after FAT formatting on Windows, but I still get "no medium
found" when I try to mount it.

I also had a new iMac handy. It seems to properly recognize the device
as a USB Mass Storage compatible device and immediately downloaded
photos after I plugged in the camera.

By the way, the vendor ID for this camera is 0x4da, the product id is 0x2373.

--
Adam Monsen
http://adammonsen.com/