USB mass storage device at /dev/sda1 isn't mountable: "no medium found"

Adam Monsen haircut at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 12:03:36 PDT 2005

On 6/2/05, Peter Henriksson <swany at telia.com> wrote:
[...]
> Which kernel version are you using?

2.6.11-1.1366_FC4. I got it from here:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/kernel-2.6.11-1.1366_FC4.i686.rpm

Here's the output of uname -a:
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.11-1.1366_FC4 #1 Sun May 29 23:58:27
EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

> I seem to remember a bug with 2.6.10 kernels and vfat.
> Check dmesg for "Unable to load NLS charset" messages.
[...]

I don't see anything like that. dmesg says pretty much the same thing
as what's in the syslog...

usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: LEICA     Model: Digilux 1         Rev: 0050
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 04 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 04 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

...and when I disconnect it...

usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 5

It even correctly identifies the SD Flash card that's currently in the
camera ("SCSI device sda: 499713 512-byte hdwr sectors (256 MB)"). If
I put a 128 MB card in there, it reports the size of the card
properly.

This seems very reproducable. Should I file a bug? If yes, with
Fedora, HAL, or somewhere else?

Thank you all very much for your help/hints so far.

--
Adam Monsen
http://adammonsen.com/