Unlocking device(s) on process exit/crash

Clark, Chris M Chris.Clark at ca.com
Wed Jun 8 10:47:58 PDT 2005

Thanks for everyone's responses to my mail. The problem occurs for
both Python exceptions and the "kill -9" scenario.

It sounds like I'm suposed to deal with the exceptions (which I
already do with a "finally" block which performs the Unlock). The
example I posted had a simplistic "catch" way of dealing this this
(but it was disabled for demo purposes).

For the "kill -9" scenario it sounds like I've hit a bug, that
none else is seeing (thank you to David Zeuthen for testing a
slightly different combination that indicated there may a problem
with the Ubuntu/0.23 dbus bindings). I'll log a report with Ubuntu
bug tracker and see how things go from them.

Slightly off topic; does anyone have Moby.Hotel (the new album)? It
uses a new copy protection to prevent cdrom drives from playing
it (they are not real cd's they don't adhere to the cdaudio
standard), when I insert it cd hal (0.4.7 under Ubuntu Hoary)
seems to disappear. Has anyone seen this too, I don.t have enough
information (well knowledge) to make a report on it just yet.

Chris