better mount options for usb storage devices

Nelson Benítez gnel at cenobioracing.com
Wed Jun 8 12:56:34 PDT 2005

Hello, I have an usb pendrive where i have files stored from windows xp,
my pendrive always failed to mount automatically via hal, after a bit
researching I could finally mount it by adding the following two mount
options to the fstab line:
codepage=850,iocharset=utf8

The 850 codepage corresponds to Spain (iso-8859-15 ?) where I am from,
and without this, mount tried to use the default codepage which is cp437
and so it failed to me with:
(from log)
Jun  8 18:42:54 gnelson Unable to load NLS charset cp437
Jun  8 18:42:54 gnelson FAT: codepage cp437 not found

After adding codepage it also failed and needed the iocharset option,
which with windows xp is utf8 to view long filenames, if you use
iso8859-1 (the default) shows you the files in 8.3 format (abbreviated).

To add info, the following is the hal fstab line that failed:
user,exec,noauto,utf8,noatime,sync,managed 0 0

And this what it works after changing storage-policy.fdi to add that
mount options (patch attached for more info):
user,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,codepage=850,noatime,sync,managed 0 0

So I send this mail to help improve this because this kind of stuff (usb
storage devices) are expected to just works (tm)... the iocharset option
could be added to 90defaultpolicy/storage-policy.fdi but the codepage
option seems to be country/charset specific so in this case hal would
have to figure it out from $LANG or locale I think...

PD: Apart from my pendrive I also try with another usb storage
device(plus mp3 player) and also failed the same way...