fdi file to make hal support iriver audio players

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Jun 21 09:49:41 PDT 2005

Hi,

sorry for the lag.

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 21:50 +0200, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is a .fdi file for most iriver audio player (thankt so iriver for
> providing the list of usb ids). Can someone commit this to the cvs, so
> it doesn't get lost?
> You who owns a iriver player may double check so I got the
> capabilities correct. I'm not so sure about all the input mime types,
> the iriver homepage didn't say anything about it.
>
> Some notes. I only include audio mimetypes, this means that bmp, jpg
> is not included. I didn't add ogg to the players who only support it
> after a firmware upgrade. I didn't add the .asf support since I'm not
> sure what the mimetype is (video/x-ms-asf ?, it feels strange since it
> is audio players).
> I also didn't add the iriver video players, since this property
> clearly states audio player.

So I've ported this to the hal 0.5.x scheme and added it to an already
existing .fdi file for music players here

 http://cvs.freedesktop.org/hal/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-music-players.fdi?rev=1.3&view=markup

> Currently this will only bring a nice music player icon in gnome for
> what I know, but hopefully some apps in the future will take advantage
> of this property.

Indeed. Might also be useful for prompting users to install e.g.
gstreamer plugins for the required codecs when the device is plugged in.

Thanks a lot.

    David