Patches

Alvaro Lopez Ortega alvaro at sun.com
Fri Jun 24 00:50:05 PDT 2005

Kay Sievers wrote:

>>>   I have made 28 new patches to compile libvolume_id on Solaris.
>>>   It is mainly a fix for all the wrong types of that library.
>>
>>Cool, I've copied Kay to review this. Any chance you can combine all the
>>28 patches into a single patch?

   "cat *.diff > bigone.diff"  should be enough.

> The headers are mostly a copy of the linux kernel headers. Why not just
> map the "wrong" types for the solaris compile instead of patching all the
> files?

   From my point of view, it is not a problem of compiling HAL on
Solaris but a mistake with the types.  I mean, the private kernel types
shouldn't be used in user space programs.  Of course we can define some
new types for those names to compile everything without changing
anything else, but the code will continue using types out of context.

   HAL is splitted on platform dependent code and platform independent
code, which is great, so we shouldn't use Linux kernel specific types in
the common parts.  It will help to another porting efforts as well. :-)

--
Greetings, alo.