Patches

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Fri Jun 24 09:01:19 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:27:28AM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 11:20 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Alvaro Lopez Ortega [2005-06-24  8:50 +0100]:
> > >   From my point of view, it is not a problem of compiling HAL on
> > > Solaris but a mistake with the types.  I mean, the private kernel types
> > > shouldn't be used in user space programs.
> >
> > Seconded, /usr/include/stdint.h exists for this purpose and should be
> > used for portability.
>
> Sounds good and reasonable to me and if klibc doesn't have this
> volume_id should probably just work around that. Kay, is this OK with
> you?

I hate C99 types! I don't buy words like "wrong types" and "mistake" in
this context. I like it to have the same structs as the kernel, where I
copied it from. I don't see a problem adding the few typedef's to make
it compile on a different platform cause these types are private to
volume_id itself and not in the public header (volume_id.h).

But sure, I don't really care and if it makes you guys more happy then
just go ahead and switch it. :)

Btw:
We are planning to move all the id stuff into udev and provide this
information from there to HAL.
udev will need this information for modern persistent device-names we want
to introduce (there will be a talk at OLS this year about it). udev and
its probing helpers also have the knowledge about the low-level to know what
can safely be asked from a device (remember the scsi INQUIRY that stops
storage devices from working). So volume_id and drive_id can be removed from
the HAL tree soon and maintained at a lower level.

Cheers,
Kay