Patches

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 27 10:19:59 PDT 2005

Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
>   From my point of view, it is not a problem of compiling HAL on
> Solaris but a mistake with the types.  I mean, the private kernel types
> shouldn't be used in user space programs.

These are not kernel private types, nor technically (not ifdef
__KERNEL__), not conceptually. Before C99, the C language did not define
fixed-width integer types and every implementation had to invent their
own. __u* types are just Linux's choice of fixed-width integer types and
because HAL is Linux-born, it is quite natural for it to use them.
Before C99 becomes ubiquitous, we can't require the use of new types,
although we'd certainly encourage that, especially in multi-platform
projects, where personal preferences should not affect portability.

-Artem.