"doing" things to HAL devices

Richard Hughes richard at hughsie.com
Tue Mar 15 07:48:47 PST 2005

Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd <at> luon.net> writes:
>   Unfortunately live isn't that simple, for example on my powerbook i need to
>   kill esd and remove some modules when suspending... And ofcourse reload when
>   coming out of suspend.

Sort of suggests shell scripts, the idea of which I'm hating. What about just
providing a blacklist of modules that we have to rmmod and modprobe at suspend?
That could be done inside of HAL (well, an addon I guess)

>   Is powermanager going to provide that ability or some generalized hal callout
>   to do the actual suspend or ? ideas ? :)

HAL should do the action, g-p-m is architecture neutral, that's the point :-)

>   Btw note that there is a difference between suspend and hibernate.. and iirc
>   acpi has a whole slew of other ``suspend'' states

Sure, but I figured once, say suspend, was in HAL it's pretty trivial to add
more. It's the first one that's the killer. :-)

Richard