"doing" things to HAL devices

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 15 19:29:52 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 19:41, Richard Hughes wrote:

> My personal opinion is that for 99.9% of people, locking down the "who
> can suspend" won't be an option. And the sort of people that will would
> know how to edit a config file to change ALLOWSUSPEND=NO :-)

Yes and 75% of all statistics are made up.  Why would you want to trade
off security for convenience when this can be done just as securely and
be convenient with security options such as pam_console?  I think other
distros have similar methods that can vastly improve security without
inconveniencing the user.  Security and convenience are not mutually
exclusive.  It is in fact the security of the dbus at_console rules that
allow us to think of ways we can make Linux more convenient to the user.
--
J5