Please fix bug #1852 (hald causes SYM53C8xx SCSI errors, device disconnects + GNOME hang)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon May 16 08:15:50 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 19:31 +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2005, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > Yeah, this should probably be fixed ASAP, it shouldn't be too difficult.
> > Does anyone have a patch? Otherwise I'll look at it tonight (EDT). Then
> > I'll do a new 0.4.8 release too.

OK, my only system with the old dbus and hal is at work so it had to
wait for this morning.

> I don't have a patch, sorry.
>
> I hacked up my system with new udev, dbus and hal to see, and it doesn't
> seem to read the config file at all (I used strace -fF).
>
> So is the bug in libsysfs instead? If so, a bug report should probably
> be sent that way, too.

Can you try the attached patch? If it works I'll commit it and roll a
new release.

> > Btw, this shouldn't affect hal 0.5.x as we don't use libsysfs there. It
> > may affect udev - Kay?
>
> At any rate, there's no user-relevant data after byte #128 in
> SYM53C8XX's /sys/devices/pci*/.../config files. These are all zero on
> newer adaptors according to Matt Wilcox, SYM53C8XX maintainer, so no
> entropy there that might make an application or auxiliary subsystem
> change behavior.

The kernel should really be fixed such that simply reading the 'config'
attribute doesn't result in this. I'm also worried about this because
even unprivileged users may read "config" attributes as the mode is
0644.

> BTW, "tak" for the quick response!

Heh, "kein problem" :-)

Cheers,