ACPI Temperature zones, batteries

Daniel Bonniot Daniel.Bonniot at inria.fr
Thu May 26 16:46:55 PDT 2005

> I think the consensus was that the temperature reporting should be
> linked in with the device, i.e. instead of having "temperature device
> #1" and "temperature device #2" in the HAL device tree, the temperature
> should be a capability of the actual object, e.g. the processor would
> have keys sensor.temperature.value for example.

I agree that's the best. However, as far as I know there is no automatic way
to associate an ACPI thermal zone name to a concrete device (like CPU,
motherboard, ...). This is claimed here, for instance:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2003/08/msg00040.html
I would loved to be proved wrong. Also, maybe there is a "common practice"
common enough to be taken as a default. On my system, THRC is the CPU (C), and
there is also THRM is probably the motherboard (M).

> If you look in the
> archives you'll see what we talked about.

I looked for temperature is subjects, which returns nothing.

> I'm not sure if the schema for
> temperature got committed to hal-spec.xml.in in the end, it might be
> worth checking.
>
> Out of interest, what would you use the temperature sensing for? I think
> everyone agreed at the time that temperature controlled emergency
> shutdown was best left to the kernel.

1) Print the current temperature (in the harware-monitor gnome applet, for
instance)
2) Some CPUs can be controled to change frequency and voltage (CPUfreq). I
wrote a patch to the userspace tool cpudyn that controls this feature. My
patch needs to know the temperature to decide which frequency to chose.

BTW, I would also be interested in battery information. In that case it should
be easier to attach the info to a concrete device ;-)

In both cases, do you know if it's possible to be notified of changes instead
of polling? Or would HAL do the polling, and notify all interested clients?

Daniel