ACPI Temperature zones, batteries

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Fri May 27 01:42:49 PDT 2005

On Friday 27 May 2005 08:30, Richard Hughes wrote:
[...]
> > I agree that's the best. However, as far as I know there is no automatic
> > way to associate an ACPI thermal zone name to a concrete device (like
> > CPU, motherboard, ...). This is claimed here, for instance:
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2003/08/msg00040.html
> > I would loved to be proved wrong. Also, maybe there is a "common
> > practice" common enough to be taken as a default. On my system, THRC is
> > the CPU (C), and there is also THRM is probably the motherboard (M).
>
> How does the ACPI code in the kernel generate the names? Does it know
> for sure?

But you can't be sure that the name is correct. I have seen different machines
where you can't say which thermal zone is from CPU or motherboard. If the
ACPI implementation in the bios is not really good there is no clear way to
assign a thermal zone to a device automatically.

For such cases it would be nice if there would be a dialog to the user to
assign a thermal zone (or what ever) to a device and configure HAL.

Danny