ACPI Temperature zones, batteries

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Fri May 27 03:13:34 PDT 2005

On Friday 27 May 2005 11:01, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
[...]
> Now that would be interesting ;)
>
> "Please look at the values below, open up your laptop, find the cpu and
> mainboard thermic sensors (usually labelled xyz, except when they are
> not - be sure not to break any of the tiiny connectors) and use a
> lighter to heat one of them up - do not touch the sensors themselves,
> but light the air right above them. Remember which value changes below.
> Then select the correct type (CPU or Mainboard or Unknown) for each of
> the values. Do not burn yourself. Thanks."
>
> hehehe

;-)

But maybe the user know more about the correct thermal zone. In some cases the
temperature of a thermal zones is never changend or to high because of broken
ACPI or what happens if the wrong (maybe broken) thermal zone is assigned to
CPU and a other program use this values to shut down the machine? In this
cases it would be nice to inform the user  if something is unclear and offer
to configure this with a dialog.

I think its generally a good idea to make devices configurable by first
detection (through a desktop/command line dialog) if there are problems to
detect correct and clear properties/assignment (maybe as part of
hal-device-manger). Thus we can prevent wrong or empty values.

> Seriously, if it cant be determined automagically, it should probably
> just be supplied by an extra file dependent on the laptop model (I think
> there is a place where .fdi files are collected, correct me if I'm
> wrong). Now this of course again needs the laptop model being able to be
> determined.

You can probably detect the laptop model through match dmidecode, but you
can't add a detection and file for each existing model ;-)

I think, it would be more useful for the user to configure a device trough a
dialog than edit a fdi-file.

Danny