Video DVD filsystem not detected [was:Re: (no subject)]

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Nov 2 08:53:39 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 01:16:53PM -0330, Roderick Greening wrote:
> >On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 12:21:27PM -0330, Roderick Greening wrote:
> >> Ok, so I have downloaded and compiled HAL from CVS today. I have a
> >DVD-ROM
> >> that I'm trying to get working with KDE Media Manager, and trying to
> >track
> >> down the issue. Can someone look at the output from HAL below for the
> >UDI
> >> specific to my DVD-ROM and tell me if it looks correct and if everything
> >is
> >> being reported that should be.
> >>
> >> Questionable things are
> >>
> >>  volume.label = ''  (string)
> >>  volume.uuid = ''  (string)
> >>  volume.fsversion = ''  (string)
> >>  volume.fsusage = ''  (string)
> >>  volume.fstype = ''  (string)
> >>
> >> Shouldn't the above have some values? At least shouldn't volume.fstype
> >be
> >> 'udf' or 'iso9660' or whatever for the mounted volume? I currently have
> >> Video DVD mounted and it's type is udf by HAL didn't report that in
> >lshal.
> >
> >Seems like a firmware bug in your drive. We got several of these reports
> >recently. Try to comment out the CDROMREADTOCHDR block at:
> >  hald/linux2/probing/probe-volume.c (line 470-487)
> >
> >and see if that works?
>
> Is the firmware bug specific to DVD media/volumes or would something like
> this affect any CD inserted?

How can I know? :) The firmware may behave differently, depending on
the kind of media. But sure the firmware is likely to be broken cause on
most drives HAL works correctly and the things I've seen from some
broken drives is that they report weird  block offsets if asked for the start
of the session.

> The reason I ask is that if I insert a regular iso9660 CD-R disk, it is
> detected correctly by HAL, IVMAN, and KDE (I get the nice CD Icon on my
> desktop). Seems this happens only if I insert a DVD-R.

> If this is a DVD specific firmware issue, I can certainly try commenting
> out and recompiling to see what happens.

Yeah, please try it.

Thanks,
Kay