HAL FDI matched Buttons

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Nov 29 08:13:35 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 15:55 +0100, Timo Hoenig wrote:
> > This would be a disaster for distros. Really, this stuff is supposed to
> > "just work" and the user shouldn't have to do lots of research, install
> > a random daemon, configure it, and work out how to interact with it.
>
> NetworkManger, as a nice example, does not require anything of all that.

Don't want to sound harsh, but the problems that NetworkManager is
trying to solve are much more complicated than power management. Mostly
because it requires real user intervention (both exporting knobs to the
user but also reading settings private to the currently logged in user).

Really, my stance is that most of this should belong in the kernel (as
the CPU speed stuff is appearing to be moving into) with simple knobs
for user space to tweak. And, you know, I don't even think it's
interesting to export many of these knobs through HAL because I don't
really see much need for said knobs in the UI. For example, turning off
CPU cores when going on battery power should just be done be the script
invoked by the

 org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.SetPowerSave()

method on the computer device object.

I really vote for keeping things simple :-)

Cheers,
David