detecting hibernation capability

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Nov 29 14:40:48 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 22:11 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> (bool) power_management.can_suspend
> (bool) power_management.can_hibernate
> (bool) power_management.can_standby

Not sure we really want to make a distinction between suspend/standby
(not many ppl know the difference between ACPI S1 and S3).

> I think we need to expose these keys (rather than just returning invalid
> from the scripts) so GUI programs can hide the options that do not
> apply.

So take a look at what will be Fedora Core 5. The vendor supplied kernel
is configured on x86 to support ACPI and given the laptop has those
capabilities we'll always set

 .can_suspend
 .can_hibernate

to TRUE. However this will only work on about 80% of the systems
actually deployed because of bugs (the laptop simply will refuse to
either standby or resume).

Now, it turns out that we can't even white list this, I thought we could
- at least this was what I was told here

  https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2005-March/msg00067.html

So in other words I seriously doubt how this is useful? Sure, it may be
sorta useful to grey out stuff on some platforms; i'd say go ahead and
add this if you have a patch.

Cheers,
David