USB key troubles

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Fri Oct 7 08:42:34 PDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 03:47:55PM +0200, Vlaaad wrote:
> Le jeudi 06 octobre 2005 à 16:35 -0700, Carlo J. Calica a écrit :
> > Vlaaad wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm trying to get gnome-volume-manager 1.5.1 working fully for the
> > > distro I contribute to (Source Mage). All seems to work except some
> > > troubles with USB keys and I think hald is guilty, or at least it is not
> > > well configured on my box. I spent hours and hours and I didn't manage
> > > to solve it, I so request some help if someone has some extra free
> > > time...
> > >
> > I'm doing the same for a distro I contribute to (GoboLinux).  Udev doesn't
> > automatically call /etc/dev.d or /etc/hotplug.d.  You need to add some
> > rules similar to this:
> >
> > calica at office ~]cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-hotplugd.rules
> > # do not call hotplug.d and dev.d for "drivers" and "module" events
> > SUBSYSTEM=="drivers",  OPTIONS="last_rule"
> > SUBSYSTEM=="module",   OPTIONS="last_rule"
> >
> > # compatibility support for the obsolete hotplug.d and dev.d directories
> > ENV{UDEVD_EVENT}=="1",  RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_hotplugd"
> > RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_devd"
> >
> > calica at office ~]
> >
> Ok, I had the last two rules but not the first two ones. I added them.
>

> > Also, keep in mind udev is now using a netlink socket rather
> > than /sbin/hotplug to listen to events.  That means you should remove udev
> > from /etc/hotplug.d/default
> >
> Good to know, I was not aware of that.
>
> Well thanks a lot for your help, but despite of adding the rules +
> cleaning 10-udev.hotplug from /etc/hotplug.d, I see no difference... :-/
>
> Here are some more informations that can be useful :
>
> $ ll /etc/hotplug.d/default/
> total 4
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   24 2005-10-07 13:42 20-hal.hotplug
> -> /usr/libexec/hal.hotplug
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2931 2005-10-07 13:33 default.hotplug
>
> So if I well understood, hal communicate with udev via the execution
> of /etc/hotplug.d/default, who is launched
> with /sbin/udev_run_hotplugd ?
>
> I have nothing in /etc/dev.d/ except that :
>
> $ ll /etc/dev.d/snd/controlC0/alsa.dev
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 46 2005-09-15
> 01:19 /etc/dev.d/snd/controlC0/alsa.dev
>
> Am I supposed to have something in there ?
>
> Thanks again for your help.

Kernel events are received by udev which handles the event and sends it
to HAL by calling hal.hotplug. The use of the multiplexing directories
in udev or the use of run_directory is not recommended and should be
avoided.
Every hotplug user should plug into the event process with a
matching rule. So at best remove _all_ the old dev.d/ and hotplug.d/ crap
and just add: RUN+="/usr/sbin/hal.hotplug" or something like this.

Kay