HAL, and laptop Fn and hardware keys

Matthias Grimm matthiasgrimm at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 11 12:06:03 PDT 2005

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 20:30:10 +0200
Matthias Grimm <matthiasgrimm at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> And yes, I think there is a easy method to send input events from user
> space if necessary through the uinput device. I'm going to check the
> next days.

I played a bit with uinput the last days. It is not a big problem to
create a virtual keyboard in user space and send key events to the
kernel input layer. All depending programs will recognize this events
including X11.

I thinks this is the way to go for special laptop buttons not supported
by kernel driver. There is no need for a second key event distribution
system like dbus and last but not least HALd don't have to cope with
keys at all.

I don't know yet where this piece is placed in the big picture but as
interim solution it would be easy to change IAL to use uinput instead
of dbus.

  Best Regards
    Matthias