HAL on Darwin/OSX?

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at OpenOSX.com
Thu Oct 13 12:17:14 PDT 2005

On Oct 11, 2005, at 8:09 AM, David Zeuthen wrote:

>> I was curious if HAL runs on the Darwin/Mac OSX platform?
>
> Should be possible. One explicit goal we had when designing HAL was
> that
> an operating system might only supply a subset of the functionality
> specified in the spec. So, initially only you would only export e.g.
> physical devices (USB, PCI etc.), then you would add disk drives,
> volumes, batteries etc.
>
>>  From what I gather, it doesn't, it appears to be Linux only...
>
> You should be able to build it so it only exports a single hal device
> object, namely the root computer device object. AFAIK this works on
> Solaris so getting it to run on Darwin should be a walk in the park. Of
> course, only exporting the computer is not too useful but it's a good
> starting point for hacking on this code.

David,

I am not sure if you are interested, but I would be happy to create you
an account to SSH into if you want to take a look on a Darwin/Mac OS X
box.

I would be happy to compensate you for your time, and I would
contribute the patches to your project. For now,  I would like to build
a "minimal" version of HAL as you suggested.

Yours,

Programmer/Owner		Phone:	877.240.1364
http://OpenOSX.com		Fax:		415.462.6211