fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-storage-policy.fdi : storage.policy.should_mount

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Oct 17 03:49:25 PDT 2005

On Sunday 16 October 2005 00:49, Richard Hughes wrote:
> In reference to the file fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-storage-policy.fdi, we
> have *by default* to not mount fixed disks.

This is o.k. for me. Fixed disks should be listed in fstab and mounted at
boottime if needed or if the user would mount the disk manually.

To set fixed disk to should_mount=yes maybe produce problems with mount policy
and could mount devices which should not mount by default. Btw. to change
this would brake automounting devices on SUSE (and maybe also on other dists)
and could maybe produce not wanted races.

> Talking to people in the community, i.e. new users, they are still
> struggling with the mount /dev/sda2 /mnt syntax to mount a simple fixed
> disk when they really needn't be!
>
> The code is thus:
>
> <!-- Dont want to mount non-hotpluggable fixed disks since ideraid
>      detection isnt complete as hald wrongly detects e.g. partitions
>      from some IDE RAID controllers -->
[...]
> Is it still valid (and sensible) to not mount fixed disks?

I think is is true, we have such problems (wrong partition detecton) also with
different DVDs and several USB-sticks. If this part prevent this problems,
perfectly! Let this in by default. If a user want to change this he can do
this manually, but change this not defaultly.

> The first thing I do when I reinstall HAL is to edit this file and
> change the value to true, so that it gets my FAT32 fixed disk in the
> GNOME "Computer".

If this is only a problem of display the device, change the 'GNOME "Computer"'
to display all devices and not only the partitions with should_mount=yes.
Maybe use an other key.

> If the comment is still valid, then can we somehow blacklist the wrong
> IDE RAID controllers? Create a tag storage.raid? Seems a shame to have
> this disabled by default.

I don't see a shame here. To add this you need information about _all_ broken
RAID controllers to prevent default problems. Not sure if we need this.

Cheers,

Danny