HAL plugin system

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Fri Oct 21 13:49:35 PDT 2005

Matthias Grimm wrote:
>>>Have you ever thought about a driver plugin system? So that the HAL
>>>upstream source haven't to be patched on every new driver or driver
>>>update? A programmer could write a driver plugin for certain hardware
>>>devices and distribute them on his own or contribute it to the HAL main
>>>package. But he doesn't need to patch a foreign code.

Every time you split the system, there needs to be a contract (API)
between the two parts that both sides must adhere to. It is not clear if
it's worth the trouble in this case. I'd guess, ROI won't be great at
present time, but might be a good idea make the 1.x release future-proof.

-Artem.