[PLEASE TEST] emit "EjectPressed" signal on optical drive

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 02:46:22 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 01:04 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> Hi,
> we had something like this in the old version of HAL. That time a lot
> of drives did not support the eject event properly.
>
> Let's try if it works with our current boxes. "dbus-monitor --system"
> should show the event if you press the button of your optical drive.
>
> Please guys test and report back if it works or not, to see if it's
> worth to put that back.

Kay:

On my USB2 external DVD writer I get the event when cdrom eject pressed:

*** lshal: device_condition,
udi=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVDRW_SOHW_1673S
           condition_name=EjectPressed
           condition_details=

But on my laptop internal DVD drive I get nothing (with no adverse
affects) -- which isn't surprising, this Toshiba is full of oddities.

I think this condition should defiantly be emmitted by HAL (and used by
g-v-m) as it improves the user operation of the system.

My girlfriend got well confused when I said she had to right click the
icon on the desktop before she could eject a cdrom. If g-v-m unmounts
and ejects the drive (assuming no-one has files open) on the
EjectPressed event, then it would be *so* new-user friendly.

Richard.