Thoughts about HAL, Ivman and Pmount.

Martin Pitt martin at piware.de
Fri Oct 28 11:22:15 PDT 2005

Hi Jonatan!

Jonatan Liljedahl [2005-10-28 17:13 -0200]:
> > > Not very nice, you're right. So probably it would be better still to
> > > don't automount anything at all, but only create the mountpoints and
> > > then let the users mount/unmount it and the first user who mounts it
> > > will own it.
> >
> > Maybe this is a little better, but not the thing we would want to do
> > in Ubuntu.
>
> How are you doing it in Ubuntu?

Just the default way of g-v-m: stick in an USB/Firewire/CDROM storage
device, and it gets mounted automatically. This works well for a
single desktop user, and breaks in the mentioned way with more than
one user.

> > In this file you can configure the "heads", i. e. define which
> > keyboards, monitors, and USB ports belong to a terminal.
>
> That sounds very nice. So a device is owned by the user who's logged
> into the corresponding head?

Yes. g-v-m just ignores devices which are not on the specified USB
port.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de