HALd: a few steps toward JDS

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Sep 19 08:05:18 PDT 2005

Hi,

Sorry for the lag - I have very little time for HAL stuff nowadays but
I'll try as good as I can to keep up :-)

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 23:33 +0100, Michael Krivoruchko wrote:
> Hi David and All,
>
> There are a few people at Sun are working on HALd with intention to
> utilize
> functionality provided by the daemon in the next release of JDS. One of
> the
> requirements for JDS is support of multiuser environment. The goal of
> the
> architecture proposed in the document linked below is to improve
> granularity
> of access rights management in order to let a mortal user to manage
> devices
> he/she owns.
>
>    http://blogs.sun.com/roller/resources/misha/hald_arch.html

An interesting read.

> The document is a sketch of the proposed architecture, but I hope it is
> good
> enough to be used as a starting point for discussion.

So, I read through the document and I *think* that I can guess what the
user experience you are after. I have a few comments about the technical
stuff but is it possible you can expand the document with examples of
concrete user experiences and examples of required UI to make this work?
I think it then will become much easier to discuss the technical
details.

Thanks,
David